Wednesday 9 January 2019

Not Just Random Acts of Kindness


Last month I was trying to find ways to make Advent more meaningful, to make some room for Christ in my life and in my heart. As usual, I tried to set small achievable goals, because apparently ‘become a saint’ and ‘be holy’ don’t really count as tangible Advent practices. Anyway, so I tried to visit an Adoration chapel every day even if it was just for ten minutes. That went pretty well, even though I missed a few days. I also thought of writing a letter every day, which went excellently if you consider writing a grand total of zero letters a success. Maybe Lent.

The other thing I decided to do was buy a few bags of non-perishable groceries, and give them away to people the Lord pointed out to me, or poor people I saw on the streets. Unfortunately I hadn’t considered that carrying extra bags of groceries around was not the most practical idea, especially since I tend to overload my little two-wheeler on normal rides anywhere. So I did carry one bag out with me once, didn’t see anyone, and just brought the bag back and left it at home.

What’s the use of having groceries to give away if I didn’t give them away? I decided to pray, ‘Lord, you know who needs these groceries. Please send them to me or show me exactly to whom to give them.” And then I set it aside for all the other pre-Christmas errands and tasks I needed to do.

One of the activities on my schedule was our weekly Faith Club, a bible study with a bunch of high-schoolers from the school our volunteers serve at. We had a great session talking about Advent and the second coming of Christ. We broke up into small groups to pray for each other, and then I suddenly felt inspired to say something I had never said before. “We all know Christmas is coming next week. I want to ask you all – is there anything you want or need for yourself or your family this Christmas?” The kids looked up in surprise, but were all completely silent.

I knew these students well, we had built relationships with them over the last year, and visited several of their homes. I knew that most came from underprivileged backgrounds, and I also knew that they didn’t see us as just gift-givers, but as beloved older sisters and brothers who cared about them. So I felt confident that this inspiration was from the Lord. I had no idea what they would ask for – a pair of shoes? A sweater? School supplies? Still, they didn’t speak.

“You know, in the bible Jesus says ‘Ask and you shall receive’. If you don’t ask, you won’t receive. You don’t HAVE to ask for anything, but if there is something you or your family needs, you can come and tell me about it quietly.”

I could see indecision on one or two faces, so I called one girl over. “What do you need? You know you can tell me.” She hesitatingly said, “Can you give some rations for my family?” “Of course!” I responded. Her mother works as a house maid and she shared that her alcoholic father had left again.

We started working out when I could get her the groceries. Then I suddenly remembered the bags in my house. “Why don’t you walk over to our house right now? You can pick up the groceries from there.” My current home is a two minute walk away from the school. I told her about my prayer.

“God knew your needs even before you asked Him (or me) to provide for them. That’s how much He loves you!” I could see the truth wash over her in a far more convincing way than any bible study on its own could achieve.

I’ve been reading a book called ‘Soul of the Apostolate’ (and by ‘been reading’ I mean I started it a few months ago, and it’s been sitting on my work table since then, and I finally picked it up again today and read a few more pages, yeah I know, I’m such a bookworm. Darn you, Internet connection).

Now for a man, while busied in good works, to behave in practice as if Jesus were not the sole principle of supernatural life, is… called ‘the heresy of good works’… Feverish activity taking the place of the action of God; grace disregarded…’ Dom Chautard, The Soul of the Apostolate

Maybe God was trying to remind me too that the work we are called to do is not just social work, not merely random acts of kindness. We are introducing these young people to a Person, a Father, One who is dependable and reliable, One who cares about their needs, and who will stay with them long after I have to leave. And if I truly want to do that, I need to invite the Holy Spirit to lead and inspire, and I need to respond to His inspirations when He gives them to me. I also need to pray a lot more for these souls placed in my care.

Random acts of kindness are great, but how much more powerful are Spirit-led acts of kindness that lead to an encounter with God Himself.

1 comment:

  1. So inspiring!! Thank you for showing us it's possible😊

    ReplyDelete